Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Confessions of an insomniac

   I have never been one of the "lucky ones" who fall asleep as soon as their head hits the pillow. My husband's head hits the pillow and it's goodnight, adios, see 'ya in the morning!
   As soon as I close my eyes at night, my mind begins spinning like a washing machine! Some of the most random thoughts flow through my mind, all of which have nothing to do with sleeping! Here's just a small sampling of what runs through my mind when I am trying to sleep: "Did I lock the doors? Is the dryer running? What's that noise? Did I set my alarm? Who is going to win the Super Bowl? What am I going to fix for supper tomorrow?" Trust me, the list goes on and on and on.
   I've implemented a trick that works at times, but usually only when I'm very exhausted. I start with 100 and count backwards. I don't ever start counting at 1 because there's no end and that really messes with my OCD!
   I've tried breathing techniques, listening to white noise and everything else short of taking medication, which I have no plans of doing. I've read some pretty scary stories about people who take prescription sleep medication.
   When I realize I'm not going to go to sleep for a while, I will go into the den and turn on the television. Once I start watching it, I'm up for quite a while. Have you ever watched infomercials at one in the morning? You can buy just about anything in the world and most of the time, if you call "now" they will throw in shipping and an extra set of whatever you are buying.
   Commercials are entertaining in the wee hours of the morning as well. Some of the embarrass me and I'm sitting in the room all by myself! I want to know who invents some of this ridiculous stuff they sell! Someone...somewhere is making a lot of money off of gullible insomniacs across America!
  I see plenty of people post status updates in the middle of the night about not being able to sleep. Hum, perhaps we should all form a support group.
   So, my inquiring mind wants to know, are you a "head hit the pillow sleep all night" person or an "I will never get to sleep watch infomercials" kind of person?

No comments:

Post a Comment