Before e-mail and text messaging came into my life, I enjoyed writing letters to people. It has become a lost art, for sure. While thinking about the last time I received a hand written letter, I began thinking about what I would have to say if I sat down and wrote a letter to myself. Sometimes you need a pep talk from the person who knows you best...yourself.
Note to self:
1. You are way too hard on yourself. Take it easy!
2. You cannot make everyone like you. Sometimes, people just have different personalities. Don't be offended if someone chooses to not be a part of your life. That's on them, not you.
3. The older you get, the more you will learn to let the small things go.
4. The older you get, the more you will realize the importance of forgiveness.
5. Friendships change and you either accept it or make yourself miserable. The choice is yours. Enjoy them while they last, but don't obsess over them once they are done.
6. Snap pictures of sunrises and sunsets. The beauty in them is overwhelming.
7. Be kind. Be kind. Be kind. Even when you would rather not offer kindness to someone, be kind.
8. Apologize when you are wrong and never ever gloat when you are right.
9. Do something every day that makes your soul happy. Write, sing, dance, run, meditate, do yoga, read a book...don't let the day end without having done something for you.
10. Practice gratitude every single day. We have many things to be thankful for. They are not hard to find.
11. Call your mom. Call your dad. Call your kids. Call a family member.
12. Laugh. The kind that comes from way down deep. The kind that makes your stomach hurt. Laughter can change our mood in an instant.
13. Look in the mirror and like what you see. You are the only you in the world. If you don't like yourself, nobody else will.
14. Your dreams are not silly. Not going after those dreams because you feel they are unattainable is silly. The only person who can make your dreams come true is you. What are you waiting for?
15. Don't allow people to take advantage of you. Whether it's in the business world, friendships or other relationships. If people think they can take advantage of you and you continue to allow it, they will think it's okay. If someone appreciates you, they will show it. If not, their loss. Walk away from them!
What are some words of encouragement or advice you'd give to yourself?